Almond, a Preventive Medicine
Almond is richer in fat than in sweet, unlike chestnuts and provides a slow energy, but it is for its anti-oxidant that it is particularly beneficial and it is considered to help preventing common diseases.
Are found in almond notable amounts of vitamins E, B2 and B3, magnesium, essential fats, fibers.
This helps to delay aging and protect health in general.
Note that its percentage of protein is very high.
It is part of Indian traditional medicine, and several studies have highlighted the effects against age, cardiac risk and other diseases.
- The anti-oxidants fight aging.
- It reduces the bad cholesterol level at a rate of 9% if we consume 75 grams per day.
It increases the good cholesterol by 4.6%. (1)
- The fibers facilitate digestion.
- Helps to prevent colon cancer.
- Anti-inflammatory (2).
Eat 5 to 10 almonds per day is reasonable and beneficial. You can eat it as is, or as seasoning, in particular with fish, or in pastry.
Being devoid of sugars, it can be incorporated into foods that include them too, provided they have not fat.
- Almonds and coronary heart disease risk factor.
- Puri, Har Sharnjit Singh (2002). Rasayana: Ayurvedic Herbs for Longevity and Rejuvenation
The scientific name is Prunus dulcis or Prunus amygdalus.