Canon with the R10 competes with the Fujifilm X-S10
Canon released two APS-C models on May 24 with the same RF mount as its full-frame models. The R7 with two SD card slots is more professional and compares to the Fujifilm X-T4. It provides enough room to insert the fingers between the grip and the large barrels of full-frame lenses, unlike the R10.
Canon R7 and Canon R10 with FF 35mm lens vs Canon M50 witth 32mm lens. (Source camerasize.com)
The R10 is more compact and competes directly with the Fujifilm X-S10 in terms of its characteristics.
It should be noted that the R7 has stabilization in the body, essential in video, like the X-T4 and the X-S10 but that the R10 does not have it.
The R10 comes with an 18-45 lens but can also be purchased with an RF 18-150 lens. It is then an alternative to the Sony A6400 or Fuji X-S10 with 18-135 or Tamron 18-300.
|Canon R10 + 18-45||X-S10 + 18-55|
|Resolution in 3:2||6000 x 4000||6240 x 4160|
|Kit lense||18-45mm F/4.5-6.3||18-55mm F/2.8-4|
|Sensitivity||ISO 100-32000||ISO 160-12800|
|Autofocus modes||Single - Tracking - Auto select - Face / Eye / Animal eyes / Vehicles||Single - Tracking / Contrast and phase detect / Face / Eye|
|Shutter speed||30s - 1/4000s
Electronical 30s - 1/16000s
|30s - 1/4000s
Electronical 30s - 1/32000s
|Burst||15 fps / 23 fps||30 fps|
|Format of photos||JPEG, HEIF, RAW||RAW, JPEG|
|Format of videos||MPEG 4 / AVC H.265||MPEG 4 / AVC H.265|
|Film Sim. Bracketing||-||yes|
|Video||4K 60p cropped ou 30p/24p uncropped - FHD 120 fps||4K 30p 24p - FHD 240 fps (3mn)|
|Video stabilisation||Digital||IBIS + Digital|
|Video duration||2 hours||30 mn 4K et FHD|
|Autonomy||260 still images with viewfinder (430 with screen only)||325 still images with viewfinder|
|Connections||HDMI - USB 2.0 Type C||HDMI - USB 3.2 Type C|
|Flash intégré||yes 6 meters||yes|
|Viewfinder||OLED 2360 K||OLED 2360 K 0.62x|
|Touch screen||Full, menu and focus||Focus / Gestures / Q Menu|
|Remote control||yes||Jack 3.5mm|
|In body editing||Converts HEIF JPEG||Converts RAW JPEG|
|Storage||SD, SDXC UHS-II||SD, SDXC UHS-1|
|Size||122 x 87.8 x 83.4 mm||126 x 85.1 x 65.4 mm|
|Weight with battery||429g - 559g with lense||465g - 775g with lense|
|Price 2022 with lens||1100 €||1000 €|
Native lens comparison
Lenses which may be used without adapters. With adapters the same lenses work on both devices. Prices are manufacturer's prices as of May 2022.
|Canon RF||Fujifilm X|
|-||-||10-24mm F4||900€ 410g|
|15-35mm F2.8||2500€ 840g||15-45mm F3.5-5.6||250€ 136g|
|16mm F2.8||350€ 165g||16mm F2.8||350€ 155g|
|-||-||16-55 F2.8||1150€ 655g|
|-||-||16-80 F4||800€ 440g|
|18-45mm F4.5-6.3||350€ 130g||18-55mm F2.8-4||350€ 310g|
|18-150mm F3.5-6.3||570€ 310g||18-135mm F3.5-5.6||400€ 490g|
|-||-||Tamron 18-300 F3.5-6.3||700€ 620g|
|35mm F1.8||550€ 305g||35mm F2||400€ 170g|
|50mm F1.8||230€ 150g||50mm F2||450€ 200g|
|85mm F2||700€ 500g||90mm F2||950€ 540g|
|24-240mm F4-6.3||1000€ 750g||50-230mm||400€ 375g|
|100-400mm F5.6-8||750€ 635g||100-400mm F4.5-5.6||1700€ 1375g|
Check online reviews for a comparison of the optical qualities of these lenses. Since Canon seems to adapt its EF-M lenses, it is not impossible that the 22mm, 32mm and 11-22mm will appear one day in RF mount.
Reasons to choose the Canon R10
- This model offers the same autofocus as the top-of-the-range Canon R6 and R3. For fast moving subjects, this is definitely an advantage.
- A longer video duration according to the specification but the camera overheats after 30 mn.
- HDR videos.
- Slow motion in 4K at 60 fps (but with image cropping).
- You can navigate the menu in touch mode.
- The viewfinder cover provides better protection from the sun's rays.
- Focus stacking merges in camera images with different focus.
Reasons to choose the Fujifilm X-S10
- In-body stabilization helps with video and low light.
- Pre-shot allow to not miss the expected moments in the action.
- 18 film simulations with a wheel to choose a simulation.
- USB 3.2 type C connector.
- Instant start in 0.4 seconds.
- You can capture two images in a row and combine them into a single photo.
- Wide-angle lenses and short zooms that are absent in the canon range.
- The kit lens has a larger aperture and is therefore more effective indoors.
See also ...
- Canon EOS M6 II vs Sony A6600 vs Fujifilm X-S10 vs Nikon Z50
Among the four best compact APS-C hybrids, which is the most versatile?
- Fujifilm X-E4 vs X-T200 vs X-S10 vs X-T30
Fuji specializes in APS-C and gives the most in these cameras.